[CentOS] Live CD Planning systems

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jan 6 02:39:49 UTC 2008

My company supplies me with a very nice HP nc2400.  Much faster, more
memory, etc than my old HP nc4010.

Problem is the drive is not swappable, and they encrypt the drive (the
OS is XP).

The nc2400 has a DVD/CDRW and 2 USB 2.0 ports so I was thinking.....

Make a Live DVD with everything I need but map

/etc /root /home and /var/log (and what else?) to a USB flash drive
(16Gb are available and I was just sent a PR on a 32Gb, maybe I can get
an eval device :) ).

So first I would want a bootable DVD that would have everything I want
to have running on the cd2400.  And of course, everytime one of the
components get updated, I will have to build a new DVD.

Then I would like to run within XEN my company's XP image on that
encrypted drive.  Is this possible.  If I could do this, I can move the
nc2400 as my 'workhorse', downgrade my nc4010 to my test box, and
reallocate the Toshiba 3490 to the family....  And more importantly one
less box to carry when traveling!

I guess one thing in this whole equation will I be able to repartition
the USB flash drive with a swap partition (will probably never use, as
there is 1.5Gb memory in the nc2400. Twice as much as the nc4010), and
an ext3 data partition?  Or should I use LVM on it?