[CentOS] Turning Wireless Radio on and off: how?

Mark Weaver

mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Mon Jan 7 17:10:35 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1501 with a Broadcom 1390 Wlan mini card
(integrated) wireless lan chipset. I've got an init script setup to
activate the wireless connection at boot time, however when the system
boots the adapter doesn't connect. I'm not able to get a connection
until after the desktop is done loading and I run the script from the
command line.

After some log review apparently as the system is booting the radio for
the wireless lan card is "off", so I need to know how to turn the
wireless radio on just before the init script for the adapter fires off.

How can I turn on/off the wireless lan radio?

I'm using ndiswrapper and the dell windows driver for this wireless card.

thanks,

Mark