[CentOS] ARGH!!! Instal fails at drive format time

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jan 7 23:44:21 UTC 2008

Mark Weaver wrote:
> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:14:05PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Got all the way through the selection of packages. All those time
>>> consuming tasks and the install got to formating the drive and
>>> crashed on a format error!
>>>
>>> Since I know exactly how I want to lay out the partitions, is there
>>> a way I can boot from CD, and get into Disk Druid to set the
>>> partitions and do the formating. Then when I come to the install
>>> just select to keep the drive how it is?
>>>
>>> And I have to have LVM....
>>>

>> You could hit ALT-F2 and set everything up from the console by hand
>> (including formatting) and then just tell disk druid _not_ to format.
>> I haven't tried that, but it feasibly might work...
>>
>> What hardware are you on? And what error are you getting exactly on
>> format?
Um. I'll try the Alt-F2. But the formatting was AFTER all the selection
steps. What I want is just format. Then I will leave it as is...

And if the format fails again, maybe I will learn more than 'critical
formatting error, install aborting' or words similar!

Oh, and this IS a test machine to get a kickstart file from....