[CentOS] Problem with CentOS 5.1/xen/RTL8110

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Tue Jan 8 16:22:39 UTC 2008

>Chris,
>
>I got the impression that the network setup is as this example:
>
>Your laptop (192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0)
>
>Router (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0<http://192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0>)
>
>Xen (192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0)
>
>Well, you can't route from one physical network to another over a router where source and destination has a ip in the same netmask area. Perhaps you only use the >router as a network switch since cheaper models have a built in switch... In this case it's a switch rather then a router, some lousy home scale routers may rally screw >up things since they don't have switches, rather a couple of network interfaces separated with bridging and firewall rules in a embedded Linux or BSD environment..
>

>- Nicolas

Nicolas,
I am following this thread with interest as a system I was about to setup is using the same driver and in the same networking scenario! If in a small segment with only one subnet and the default gateway on that subnet as you describe above, the Xen machine even in bridged mode won't have connectivity if Dom0 has an ip on the same subnet? Giving the Xen machine an IP on a different subnet would make it tricky to connect from another machine in this setup?

Thanks!
jlc