[CentOS] Problem with CentOS 5.1/xen/RTL8110

Nicolas Sahlqvist nicco77 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:43:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 5:22 PM, Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:

>  >Chris,
> >
> >I got the impression that the network setup is as this example:
> >
> >Your laptop (192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0)
> >
> >Router (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0)
> >
> >Xen (192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0)
> >
> >Well, you can't route from one physical network to another over a router
> where source and destination has a ip in the same netmask area. Perhaps you
> only use the >router as a network switch since cheaper models have a built
> in switch... In this case it's a switch rather then a router, some lousy
> home scale routers may rally screw >up things since they don't have
> switches, rather a couple of network interfaces separated with bridging and
> firewall rules in a embedded Linux or BSD environment..
> >

> >- Nicolas
>

> Nicolas,
>
> I am following this thread with interest as a system I was about to setup
> is using the same driver and in the same networking scenario! If in a small
> segment with only one subnet and the default gateway on that subnet as you
> describe above, the Xen machine even in bridged mode won't have connectivity
> if Dom0 has an ip on the same subnet? Giving the Xen machine an IP on a
> different subnet would make it tricky to connect from another machine in
> this setup?
>

> Thanks!
> jlc

Joseph,

The only time I hit into this kind of problem is when using VPN sitting on
the same subnet locally as on the other end of the tunnel so the VPN client
is unable to route it over to the same subnet on the other side, this is
quite expected behavior why one have to put another route between the client
pc or change the ip range of the local network and then set up a VPN
tunnel.. But on a local network where you have a Xen instance on
192.168.1.110, the Dom0 host on 192.168.1.100 (bridiging in between as
default with Xen)  with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 I don't see the problem,
the clients on the network can access both last time I tested. I would be
really surprised if this would have passed broken through RH and CentOS
testing phases.