[CentOS] CentOS and GCC Question

Clint Dilks

clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Wed Jan 9 01:00:13 UTC 2008

Hi People

I am trying to build a piece of software from source in this case aide
0.13.1 using this config line ./configure --with-zlib --with-selinux.
The configure step completes but there is a Warning that concerns me.
This is taken from config.log

configure:9809: checking for mhash_get_block_size in -lmhash
configure:9844: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -static  -static  conftest.c
-lmhash  -lz  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmhash
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The machine I am trying to do this build on is Cent0S 5 with the latest
updates.  It didn't originally have gcc installed so I have installed
that and mhash and mhash-devel are also installed.  I know I can ignore
the warning and just carry on, or that there are already aide RPMS.  But
I am doing this as an exercise for myself as I want to up skill in RPM
creation.  So if anyone can offer incite into why this is happening it
would be appreciated.

rpm -qa | grep gcc
libgcc-4.1.2-14.el5
gcc-4.1.2-14.el5

rpm -qa | grep mhash
mhash-0.9.9-1.el5.centos
mhash-devel-0.9.9-1.el5.centos

Please let me know any other information that would be useful, have a
nice day :)