[CentOS] tar bug in CentOS 4.6?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jan 9 22:06:35 UTC 2008

and John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com> wrote
> Sounds like your tmp directory isn't big enough to handle the creation
> of the tar file. I'm pretty sure it's stored there until it's created
> and zipped. Then once done is moved to the destination. If you do a df
> from the command line several times while running the script, you can
> see if an area is filling up before completion.
>
> John Hinton
When I checked the server this morning it had a kernel panic (in
sendbackup) .  I got it cleaned up and back running and tried again to
recreate the problem.  This time my tar command worked just fine
(Nicholas, I'm using tar piped to gzip to mimic what amanda does).  I
tried it again and got a seg fault from a file that had just been tarred
and gzipped with no problem.  I fired it off again and got the seg fault
from a different file.

At this point I'm thinking I have an intermittent hardware problem.  It
just happened to seg fault twice on the same file when I tried it
yesterday.  After several runs, there appear to be certain files that I
preferentially get the seg fault on if I rerun the backup several
times.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it seg faults.  When it seg faults
it's frequently on certain specific files.  Kind of weird.

Hopefully, it's nothing worse than the CPU fan has ingested too much cat
hair (http://davenjudy.org/interests/pets/img011.jpeg.medium.jpeg) so
the CPU is running hot.  Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce