[CentOS] yum hangs when Reading Local RPMDB

Kai Schaetzl

maillists at conactive.com
Thu Jan 10 00:41:58 UTC 2008

All of a sudden yum hangs on a Centos 4.5 (updated to the latest patch
before 4.6) when I try to use it. "clean metadata" didn't help.
The output of -d5 shows it gets to the point of "Reading Local RPMDB" and
then sits there. The process doesn't die, but doesn't seem to do anything
from that point on. strace shows this: futex(0xb76dcae8, FUTEX_WAIT, 2,
NULL

I remember that futex hangs have been mentioned in the past when doing
"big" updates from 4.x to 4.y, but this wasn't the case here.
python-2.3.4-14.4
python-sqlite-1.1.7-1.2.1
sqlite-3.3.6-2
yum-2.4.3-3.el4.centos
Kernel in use is not the latest 4.5 kernel, but one from 4.3. This
shouldn't matter in this case, shouldn't it?

How can I resolve this?
I see that one suggestion is rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*. How do I rebuild it
then?
I found that cleaning the metadata doesn't remove the sqlite databases, so
I removed these from /var/yum/cache as well. The rebuilt databases were
different, but it didn't solve the problem.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany