[CentOS] Making a NAS/HFS server

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Jan 10 17:30:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 12:01 -0500, Steve Campbell wrote:

> > ----
> > netatalk - link provided earlier in thread, use their cvs version for
> > CentOS 5
> >

> Never used CVS to access a file. I don't see how I can get the files
> here. For now, I've downloaded the 2.0.3 stable. What are the reasons
> for using cvs with my 5.1? Will it fail on config/make or what? (Only if
> you have time to explain)
----
yes, compile will fail.

probably time to learn about cvs then, it's not difficult and
instructions are there on netatalk cvs (anonymous login is fine)

you simply download the source via cvs command instead of clicking a
tarball, otherwise, little difference
----
> > if you have Mac OS 9 clients, you *might* want to use CentOS-plus kernel
> > since it includes appletalk module which means that with netatalk and
> > appletalk module, CentOS server will actually show up in the Chooser.
> > Otherwise, you will have to connect to the printer via IP address not
> > difficult for OS 9 computers but certainly not the most user friendly
> > setup.
> >

> I've started installing the plus kernels, (xen and vanilla, I may try
> both). The Mac is an older one so I'll definitely try one of those two
> kernels. Probably try the stable netatalk just to see also.
>
> Now to find the time to read the manual and do some of this.
----
stable (2.0.3) netatalk simply won't compile on CentOS 5 - netatalk
developers know that.

xen kernel has nothing to do with this. You don't have to use
CentOS-Plus kernel if you don't care whether the server appears in the
chooser of the older Macs (that's known as DDP). You don't have to use
the CentOS-Plus kernel if you download the kernel source and compile
your own appletalk module but that's probably more than most are willing
to do and CentOS generously makes their CentOS-plus kernel available
which greatly simplifies this because it includes the modules that RHEL
decided to omit because they don't want to support them.

Bonus plan today...I'm feeling generous. This is my compile options for
Netatalk on CentOS-5...

# cat /opt/netatalk-cvs/compile_neta
./configure \
        --enable-overwrite \
        --prefix=/usr \
        --exec-prefix=/usr \
        --sysconfdir=/etc \
        --localstatedir=/var/lib \
        --enable-redhat \
        --enable-timelord \
        --enable-cups \
        --with-did=cnid \
        --with-db3=/usr \
        --with-pam \
        --with-shadow \
        --with-tcp-wrappers \
        --with-ssl-dir=/usr \
        --enable-fhs \
        --with-gssapi=/usr/kerberos/include \
        --enable-krb4-uam \
        --enable-krbV-uam \
        --with-mutex="x86/gcc-assembly"

You're gonna need openssl-devel, krb5-devel, db4-devel, cups-devel
packages installed for this set of compile options to work.

Craig