[CentOS] Centos 5 Samba File Server dropping files

jae at platinumpsi.com
Thu Jan 10 22:12:03 UTC 2008

Twice I've gotten the report that a user has attempted to move a folder
of many files up one level, and all of the files disappeared.  Searching
for the files in the share proves that they aren't there any more, nor
are they where they should have been moved to.  I desperately need to
find the cause of this.  Has anyone else seen this happen on their file
server?

The samba log file doesn't appear to be any help.  It just shows that
some files were opened and closed.  The second user that I got this
report from is a competent user.  From the Windows' client side, no
error is generated.  They are just moved into a void.

I'm using Centos 5, smbclient Version 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2

Any help is greatly appreciated!  As you might imagine, a file server
dropping folders of files into the ether is a cause for concern.

I don't think the answer is in the samba config file (It works fine
under all other circumstances), but here it is, just in case:

[global]
    workgroup = platinum
    server string = Receptionist
    security = user
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.0. 127.
;    load printers = yes
;    printing = cups
    cups options = raw
    log level = 2
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 50
    interfaces = lo eth0
    os level = 33
;preferred master = yes
;    wins support = yes
    wins server = 192.168.1.130
    dns proxy = no
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    veto files = /lost+found
    encrypt passwords = yes
;    guest ok = no
;    guest account = nobody
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /misc2/shares/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = No
[network-resources]
    path = /misc2/shares/network-resources
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    writelist = jae
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    guest ok = yes
[win-profiles]
    path = /home/win-profiles
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
#    create mask = 0666
#    directory mask = 0777
    profile acls = yes
    csc policy = disable
[FILE REPO]
    path = /misc2/FILE_REPO
    comment = "Restore files from here."
    write list = jae
    browseable = yes
    writeable = no
    guest ok = no
[AllAccess]
    path = /misc2/shares/all.access
    comment = "No company sensitive files here."
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 3771
[SharePPSI]
    path = /misc2/shares/share.ppsi
    writeable = yes
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 2771
[Investor Statements]
    path = "/misc2/shares/share.ppsi/Investor Statements"
    writeable = yes
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 2771
    write list = @investor-statements
    valid users = @investor-statements
[Compliance]
    path = "/misc2/shares/share.ppsi/Compliance"
    writeable = yes
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 2771
[script]
    path = /misc2/shares/script
    comment = ""
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 2770
    write list = jae
[script.data]
    path = /misc2/shares/script.data
    comment = ""
    writeable = yes
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 3771
[automail]
    path = /misc2/shares/automail
    comment = "Automatic mailing of text files"
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 3771