[CentOS] How do I change the default media player from Totem to <anything-else>?

MHR

mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:30:02 UTC 2008

On CentOS 5.1 (and before), the default player for CD and DVD media is
Totem, despite the fact (?) that it doesn't handle a whole bunch of media
very well (i.e., can't play them at all) by default.

Unfortunately, this is not one of the preferred applications controllable
from that applet (it only does browser, email and terminal emulator.

I'd like to change what plays the CDs and DVDs by default to something
else.  I tried a google on this, but nothing relevant showed up.

Any suggestions?  (Or is this a GNOME questions?)

Thanks.

mhr