[CentOS] Howto for LDAP authentication with replication

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:49:31 UTC 2008

> Just so we're clear here, you are actually trying to learn two distinct
> things simultaneously, how to use LDAP and how to use LDAP to
> authenticate. They are not the same thing. If you knew how to use LDAP,
> adding authentication to the knowledge base would be relatively trivial.
> Likewise, if you knew how to use LDAP, configuring Webmin would be
> relatively trivial.

Thank you for the info.  I understand that LDAP and authentication are
not the same thing.  We use LDAP within our organization for storing
other types of data but most of the staff do not like to deal with it.
 In fact some team members were opposed to using LDAP for
authentication, now I understand why!  It seems to be a pain in the
ass to learn how to use and configure.

> I can tell you that Gerald Carter's book makes the entire process
> painless but you are going to do it your way and I respect that to a
> point...but ask that you recognize that you do so at the peril of
> massive frustration.

At this point I am leaning toward using kerberos instead.  It took me
20 minutes to get a working kerberos server installation up and
running, and I can now easily add new users and authenticate them,
manage tickets, etc.  Now I understand what you meant about LDAP not
being designed for authentication.  Thank you again for your time,
Craig.  This was a good learning experience for me.

thanks

Sean