[CentOS] What libs req'd to resolve DNS within a chroot jail?

Eric B.

ebenze at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 03:26:18 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been working at getting a tftp server up an running in a chroot jail,
and I have finally succeed getting almost everything working.  The server
itself works fine, however, it is implemented as a tcpwrapper application
(ie: in.tftpd) and I am having trouble getting it to resolve DNS names.  I
copied my /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny in my chroot/etc folder,
however, they only work properly if I provide IP addresses.  If I use FQDN,
they fail.

For instance, in hosts.allow:
in.tfptd:    192.168.1.101    allow

works fine

But the following fails
in.tftptd:    eric.test.com    allow

I'm assuming I am missing a library/libraries in my chroot jail, but am not
sure which ones.  I've got all the libs req'd by ldd, but I am guessing
there is something else that I am missing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric