[CentOS] display resolution

dny mail2dny at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 01:02:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 6:15 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> SO ... rsync that xorg.conf file off that machine (or copy it to the
> hard drive somewhere if the live CD can do that) and use it in CentOS-5.
>
> It should be interchangeable.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

sorry to bring up this old thread.
i just have time to try this again.

i boot up puppy linux from usb and copy the xorg.conf from it.
puppy can display 1024x768 resolution in my hardware.
but after i copy the working xorg.conf from puppy into centos,
the centos X just wont start at all.

below attached the xorg.conf content from puppy linux for your review.

so anything i can correct to make it work on centos 5.1???

tia.

xorg.conf

#Special base config file used in Puppy Linux.

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this  section  is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
# **********************************************************************
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

    Load        "dbe"   # Double buffer extension

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

# This loads the font modules
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
    Load       "glx"

# This loads xtrap extension, used by xrandr
    Load       "xtrap"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><Fn> VT switch sequence
# (where n is 1 through 12).  This allows clients to receive these key
# events.

#    Option "DontVTSwitch"

# Enables mode switching with xrandr
# There is a report that this can cause Xorg not to work on some
# video hardware, so default is commented-out...
# but i want to use it in xorgwizard so leave on...

    Option "RandR" "on"

EndSection

#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard...

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc102"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us" #xkeymap0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto" #mouse0protocol
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        #Option      "Emulate3Buttons"
        #Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" #scrollwheel
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync    30-80
        VertRefresh  56-85
        #UseModes     "Modes0" #monitor0usemodes
        EndSection

Section "Modes"
        Identifier "Modes0"
        #modes0modeline0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"                # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                       # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"              # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"                  # [<bool>]
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "i810" #card0driver
        VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
        BoardName   "82865G Integrated Graphics Controller"
        BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768"
    EndSubsection
EndSection

#PuppyHardwareProfile=Intel_r_865G_Graphics_ChipLGI0501