[CentOS] Re: PHP 5.2.5 when ?

Bart centos at bartbaars.nl
Tue Jan 15 18:32:43 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:

> I can't understand why people choose an enterprise distro for it's
> longevity,
> and then proceed to try and break it. It is almost like buying a brand
> new car
> and then immediately replacing the engine.

Well, life is not that black and white, luckily ;)

Try authenticating with PHP to MySQL using certificates. That won't work
with the current PHP release shipped with RHEL/CentOS. There's a bug in
PHP 5.1 and it's fixed in 5.2. Since this is not a security bug, but
just missing (of wrongly implemented) functionality, it's probably not
going to be back ported.

Since certificates (and PKI) are a pretty hot item these days, an
upgrade can be very useful.

Just an idea that upgrading is not always about having the latest and
greatest.. ;)

Cheers,

Bart