[CentOS] Add more space to LVM

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:38:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 4:32 PM, Todd Reed <treed at astate.edu> wrote:

> I have a database server that is running out of space.  All my databases are
> being stored in a 80G /opt partition.  Because I'm using LVM, wouldn't I be
> able to pop the HDDs (a h/w raid volume) in, add it to the LVM, and resize
> my ext3 /opt partition?  Everything that I've been reading says this is
> possible, but I'm not sure.  Has anyone done this and are there any pitfalls
> to watch out for?  Is there a better way?  I've thought about just
> rebuilding the server and restoring the databases from a backup on the new
> setup.  Any suggestions on proper path would be appreciated.  I'm running
> the current version of CentOS 5.

Hi,

This is perfectly possible with LVM. First add the HD (aka the HW RAID
volume) to the OS. Then do a pvcreate on that disk so that LVM can use
it. Then do a vgextend, this adds the disk to the volume group. A
vgdisplay should then show that you have again free space in the
volume group. Then you can do a lvextend and resize2fs as normal.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)