[CentOS] Do we have any Zimbra users on the list?

redhat at mckerrs.net redhat at mckerrs.net
Thu Jan 17 21:57:37 UTC 2008

----- "Milton Calnek" <milton at calnek.com> wrote:
> I've never looked at scalix, but I have installed zimbra on a test
> system.
>
> Unfortunately, I had to install from a tarball, which I really don't
> like.
>
> Instead of determining if you have the existing products (apache,
> clamav, slapd, tomcat, etc) and then configuring them, zimbra (the
> tarball) installs everything in /opt and I think it kills existing
> running apps.  So if you were running a web server before you
> installed
> the tarball, you'd have to integrate your stuff with zimbra.
>

> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 11:14 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >> I am not asking for anyone to do anything mean, or to say anything
> >> untrue, in fact, please don't.
> >>
> >> I am asking that if you use Zimbra on CentOS (either the Free
> Version or
> >> the Network Version) that you let them know that you are.  If you
> would
> >> pay for Official support, let them know that too.
> >
> > I'm thinking about deploying Zimbra for a customer, and perhaps even
> for
> > myself.  But, I haven't figured out if I want to use Zimbra or
> Scalix.
> > I haven't spent much time investigating, though.
> >
> > Ranbir
>
> --
> Milton Calnek BSc, A/Slt(Ret.)
> milton at calnek.com
> 306-717-8737
>

> --
> believed to be clean.

> --
> believed to be clean.

Why did you have to install from a tarball ? Were you not running an RPM based distro ? Even so, they have the following distros officially supported;

5.0.1 GA Release

    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 x86_64
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 x86_64
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * Red Hat Fedora 7 x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * Debian 4 x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * MacOS X x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * openSUSE Linux 10.2 x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 x86_64
      HTTP | Bittorrent
    * Ubuntu 6.06 LTS x86
      HTTP | Bittorrent

And each one comes in the right package format, .deb .rpm etc etc. And it is simply a case of running 'install.sh' and it takes care of the rest.

Also, I actually like the fact that it wants its own machine to run in. Makes it more 'applicance' like and believe me it makes for much easier administration. In my case, zimbra server runs in a xen based VM, so there is no real issue with having to integrate other things with zimbra.

I also tried scalix a while back, but IMO, it was not as feature rich as zimbra and it felt a bit clunkier. Now that I'm using zimbra I don't think I'd even bother to look at scalix for at least a couple of years. YMMV.

believed to be clean.