[CentOS] Openoffice.org Gimp

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Fri Jan 18 12:22:55 UTC 2008

jarmo wrote:
> Just wondering, what's the roadmap for OO to be upgraded.
> I have version 2.0.4 and official is already in 2.3.x and suppose
> in march there's going to be 2.4 version.
>
> As well as Gimp, we using 2.2 and there is 2.4.x
>
> Anyone heard upstream roadmap for upgrading?

For version 5? Very unlikely, except maybe as a preview (like there is
OOorg 1.x and OOorg2 in CentOS 4). One of the main reasons for using an
*enterprise class* distribution is stability. Which means: No version
changes, no ABI changes, no API changes where possible.

There have been some packages like Samba and Firefox/Thunderbird where
backporting (<http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html>) wasn't
possible anymore, so new versions were taken into the distribution. Or
in the case of mozilla, which ceased to exist, it was replaced with
seamonkey.

For all other applications you won't see any change in version for the
lifetime of CentOS 5 (or 4 or 3 or 2.1 respectively). CentOS 6 might
have the versions you are looking for ...

Cheers,

Ralph