[CentOS] problem with firefox

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Jan 19 09:46:40 UTC 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:

> I've heard a lot of complaints from Firefox/CentOS users. I never used
> CentOS as a desktop OS, so I can't confirm those issues from my own
> experience.
I experienced a LOT of crashing with FireFox 2 in Fedora 8 but almost
none using the tarball version in Fedora Core 6 - in Fedora 8 - I blame
the new-ness of the libraries it links against (that tarball version
doesn't)

Rebuild of Fedora 8 src.rpm in CentOS 5 is also not as stable as the
tarball version (I ran tarball version in CentOS 5) but is far more
stable than Fedora 8 version in Fedora 8.

Unfortunately I can't use the firefox distributed tarball version
because it links against an older libstdc++ which breaks the totem and
icedtea plugins.

It would be sweet if upstream firefox would distribute a compiled
tarball that links against the newer libstdc++