[CentOS] Can I remove X11 while keeping LSB compatibility?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jan 22 10:40:18 UTC 2008

Richard Cooper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Cent OS 5 box with a fairly full install which I'm trying to
> strip down. Since this machine will be running headless I would like
> to remove all of the X11 stuff which is installed on it. However, it
> seems that the "redhat-lsb" package, which I would like to keep, is
> dependent on X11
>
> - redhat-lsb depends on /usr/bin/lpr
> - /usr/bin/lpr is provided by cups
> - cups depends on paps
> - paps depends on pango
> - pango depends on libX11
libX11 is a library. You can remove the other X11 components but still
keep the shared library.
You won't have a functional X11 - just one library that is from X11.

This is not uncommon - many servers run php/python/perl  etc. modules
from drawing stuff that have dependencies on an X11 library - but do not
have X11 installed, just a shared library from it.