[CentOS] Fedora user moving to CentOS

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jan 24 02:57:02 UTC 2008

Tim Alberts wrote:
> Greetings, I'm a Fedora user likely going to switch to CentOS in the
> next few days.  I'm wondering if anyone has some heads up advice for
> me?  I am very familiar with FC6 and before so I anticipate few problems
> I haven't already seen (and know were fixed).
>
> The main reason for the move is so I don't have to re-install so
> frequently and hopefully not have to deal with so many daily updates.  I
> would use the 'upstream vendor' (respectfully), but I work under no IT $
> budget.

I moved from FC6 to CentOS 5 and almost everything is peachy as can be
for me.
On my lan "utility" server, everything worked exactly as expected - it
was the first time ever that I installed a new OS on that machine and
never had to reboot into the previous install root until I ironed things
out w/ new install. Everything just worked (except for tdfx driver for
voodoo3 which I had to patch but that machine is actually headless most
of the time).

On my laptop (IBM Thinkpad T20) - at the beginning of FC6 - it did not
properly suspend, and when shutting down, sometimes it would power off
the drive but fail to power off the laptop itself.

By the end of FC6 - suspend worked perfectly and powering down always
worked perfectly. CentOS is currently like early FC6 in that respect -
suspend does not work properly, and when shutting down, it sometimes
does not power the laptop off.

Those are minor to me though - as I rarely want to use suspend and I can
manually power it off if the acpi poweroff fails.