[CentOS] Problems with yum not updating properly

MHR

mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:42:38 UTC 2008

Has anyone else seen this?

I recently got the announcement about the xorg 1.5 update being available,
so I ran yum update to get it.

To my surprise, I found that yum did not see it at all.

With some help from Karanbir (thanks again), we decided there might be
something wrong with my repo path, so I checked it against the older one I
had from 5.0 (which I saved, for some reason) and found that the new ones
did not have protect or enable commands in them, so I added them to match my
5.0 ones.

Yum suddenyl found the xorg 1.5 updates and installed them.

But now, yum can't see the wireshark update, and although I probably don't
need it since I don't use that (AFAIK), yum does not see that one, but
suddenly it sees a kernel update (2.6.18-53.1.6).

Anyone have a clue why this might be (or what I should post here to help
clera it up)?

Here is my CentOS-Base.repo:

# CentOS-Base.repo
#
# This file uses a new mirrorlist system developed by Lance Davis for
CentOS.
# The mirror system uses the connecting IP address of the client and the
# update status of each mirror to pick mirrors that are updated to and
# geographically close to the client.  You should use this for CentOS
updates
# unless you are manually picking other mirrors.
#
# If the mirrorlist= does not work for you, as a fall back you can try the
# remarked out baseurl= line instead.
#
#

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=1
#enabled=1

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=1
#enabled=1

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=addons
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/addons/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=0
#enabled=0

#additional packages that may be useful
[extras]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Extras
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=extras
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/extras/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
protect=0
#enabled=0

#additional packages that extend functionality of existing packages
[centosplus]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Plus
mirrorlist=
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=centosplus