[CentOS] Breaking Windows XP user password?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Thu Jan 24 14:26:46 UTC 2008

Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> Granted this is not a UNIX system, but in case there is a
> UNIX tool to
> accomplish the goal...
>
> I am looking for a bootable CD/DVD (or application to be
> placed on a CD/DVD to
> be made bootable) that can let me mount a Windows XP
> drive/partition (SP1 or
> SP2), and force-crack the admin password (even if admin
> account name has been
> changed, but I know what it has been changed to).  The
> application cannot write
> to the hard drive - only mount it read-only, read the
> password file into ram,
> and show the cracked password.
>
> I know I can use the pnordahl utility to try and force-change
> the password, but
> I actually want to crack it.
>
> The utility should be free.
>
> This is a legal request.

You will need to brute force attack the passwords, using a
utility that can read the SAM registry on disk, encrypt
dictionary words, common names, common passwords as well
as generate passwords and compare.

I don't know of such a utility, but I have a feeling that you
might have better luck finding that on Windows. If that is the
case then you could create a WinXP USB drive to boot from.

I find it easier to steal passwords through key logging,
phishing (web or wireless) or social engineering then by
brute force (as a security admin I test out our corporate
environment routinely).

-Ross