[CentOS] Problems with yum not updating properly

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 20:21:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 21:42 -0800, MHR wrote:
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> I recently got the announcement about the xorg 1.5 update being
> available, so I ran yum update to get it.
>
> To my surprise, I found that yum did not see it at all.
>
> With some help from Karanbir (thanks again), we decided there might be
> something wrong with my repo path, so I checked it against the older
> one I had from 5.0 (which I saved, for some reason) and found that the
> new ones did not have protect or enable commands in them, so I added
> them to match my 5.0 ones.
>
> Yum suddenyl found the xorg 1.5 updates and installed them.
>
> But now, yum can't see the wireshark update, and although I probably
> don't need it since I don't use that (AFAIK), yum does not see that
> one, but suddenly it sees a kernel update (2.6.18-53.1.6).

The obvious: is wireshark installed? Version older than the update,
including epoch?

Impatience? There is latency from time of announcement to time of a
specific mirror update. I don't know how Lance's mirror selection works,
but is it possible that the mirror selected has not yet synch'd? I
replaced the mirror list entry in my configuration because the
geographically closest one that seemed to be selected was much slower
than the USF one, on average, that I use. After I first made this
change, I would experience delay waiting for it to get synch'd, but when
using the stock mirror list I could also see the same thing.

Eventually, the synch was done and all was well.

I confirmed this by a manual browse of the appropriate repo at the USF
site.

> <snip>

HTH
--