[CentOS] Re: Problem installing the 53.1.6 kernel

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Jan 24 20:29:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 21:57 -0800, MHR wrote:
> CORRECTION - please see below....
>
> On Jan 23, 2008 9:54 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On top of my previously (just now) difficulties with yum, now I find
> that the 53.1.6 kernel is not installing properly.
> >
> > When I run "yum update" to install it, the install hangs here:
> >
> > Dependencies Resolved

> >  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
>    Size

> > Installing:
> >  kernel                  x86_64     2.6.18-53.1.6.el5  updates
>        15 M
> >
> > Transaction Summary

> > Install      1 Package(s)
> > Update       0 Package(s)
> > Remove       0 Package(s)
> >
> > Total download size: 15 M
> > Is this ok [y/N]: y
> > Downloading Packages:
> > (1/1): kernel-2.6.18-53.1 100% |=========================|  15 MB
>  03:26
> > Running Transaction Test
> > Finished Transaction Test
> > Transaction Test Succeeded
> > Running Transaction
> >   Installing: kernel                       #########################
> [1/1]
> >
> > If I kill this with ^C, it thinks it has installed the kernel, but
> the kernel is not in my grub.conf.  Rpm also thinks it is installed.
> >
> > I can remove it with rpm -e, but then rpm -ivh won't install it
> either.  It also hangs, at the same point.
> >
> > Here's what I see when I type ^C:
> >
> > error: %post( kernel-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.x86_64) scriptlet failed,
> signal 2
> >
> > (Yes, I know, signal 2 is SIGINT, which is what ^C does.)
> >
> > BUT rpm thinks it has installed the kernel even though the /boot
> partition has not been updated and the grub.conf file also does not
> show it.
> >

> CORRECTION: /boot was updated, just not the grub.conf... .
>
> > Any constructive assistance would be appreciated.

df /boot;df -i boot   # ?

Sounds like maybe space is tight? Kernel made it in, but not grub.conf?

Also, on my 5 box, there is no grub/grub.conf, like there is on 4. It's
just menu.lst

Further, I discovered by outside-the-box activities that the update may
be sensitive to the contents of menu.lst. For sure, any changes to the
title lines. I'm keeping eyes wide open to see if the comment lines have
effect - I suspect not.

> > mhr
> >
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH