[CentOS] Timing a command

redhat at mckerrs.net redhat at mckerrs.net
Sat Jan 26 00:15:18 UTC 2008

----- "Scott Ehrlich" <scott at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I want to keep track of how long a task is running.  Thinking it
> wouldn't
> take that long, I opted not to run time before it.  The fact that it
> is
> taking a long time, if I revisit the machine in the morning, what
> would be
> the best way to find out what time it ended?
>
> In this case, I'm using mt to erase an lto3 tape - sudo mt -f /dev/st0
>
> erase.  But I'd like to use the knowledge from this question to track
>
> other events, too.
>
> I feel like I should know this answer, but cannot think of the
> solution at
> the moment.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Dunno, maybe you could check for the existance of /proc/$PID every 10 seconds or so from a shell script. And then note when $PID disappeared ?

or

run strace on the process and write the output to a tmp file. The last update of the logfile should coincide with the process ending.

Those are my best shots early on a saturday morning !

Cheers.

believed to be clean.