[CentOS] VPN in China for our server [OT?]

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Sun Jan 27 08:43:49 UTC 2008

Les Bell wrote:
> "Jason Pyeron" <jpyeron at pdinc.us> wrote:
>

> We are setting up a new server (prefer centos4 vs 5) what should we do for
> coporate vpn back to the US?
> <<
>
> Your first step should be to get on top of the regulations regarding use of
> cryptography in China. Here's a starting point:
> http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm#prc. You may well require a
> licence from the State Encryption Management Commission.

A-yup.  It is technically illegal to set up a virtual private network
without the necessary paperwork.  I'm not sure how strictly it's
enforced (many things in China are only enforced if someone in authority
has it out for you), but I suspect if you're running an actual business
in China it is better to comply with their regulations than to roll the
dice and risk getting busted.  There are a few people on the list that
run and/or work at Chinese datacenters so I'm sure someone will chime in
with their experiences soon.

Good luck!