[CentOS] WPA question

Olaf Mueller daily-planet at istari.de
Sun Jan 27 12:39:01 UTC 2008

fred smith wrote:

Hello.

> Specifically, could a laptop running Centos 5.1 be expected to (be
> able to) connect to a wireless access point using WPA2 security
> settings?
Yes, it could. I am using a laptop with a pcmcia wlan card with wpa2
and aes and 54Mbit/s. It is connected with a speedport 701 access
point. This is working cause of the ralink rt61 chipset of the wlan
card. This setting is working without any problems here. You can get
the driver from
http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html. You have to
compile this driver after each new kernel update.

The most problem is to find a wlan card with a ralink rt61 chipset at
the moment. I have found one at
http://www.tuxhardware.de/product431/product_info.html for my second
notebook.

regards