[CentOS] Re: ReiserFS

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon Jan 28 16:54:12 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:

>> On the flipside, perhaps if you call Hans and agree to cover his legal
>> bills you can get a good lifetime support contract.  :)
>>
>> Cheers,
> Last I heard, he was being investigated for a possible "lifetime
> commitment".
> But that was a while ago.

Heh.  Before the topic police scold us....

The other reason I'd avoid reiserfs is that namesys (the company that was
developing reiserfs) is effectively shut now.  Hans was unable to sell the
company before it just fizzled into obscurity.  That doesn't mean that
someone else won't pick up the ball and run with it (it is, after all,
open source), but I don't think I'd be willing to bet the farm on it
remaining a viable alternative to ext3 for the long haul in a production
environment...even if you ignore the other problems mentioned earlier.

Cheers,