[CentOS] Duplex Printing

Clint Dilks

clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Tue Jan 29 06:57:34 UTC 2008

Hi People,

This may be slightly off topic if so please let me know.  My situation
is I have a bunch of Fedora clients connecting to a CentOS Printer
server (setup using cups).  I have gone through and used Vendor supplied
ppd files where possible.  And basic printing is working.  But, Duplex
printing doesn't.

The Printers I am using are mostly Brother / HP with a few MFD's from
Konica Minolta.  I have configured Duplexing information on both the
Printer Server and the Clients but no matter what options are set jobs
always come out single sided.

The only successful Duplex Job I have been able to print was by using *
 enscript -DDuplex:true -P mfd_scmsoffice test.txt

*Otherwise I have been trying
*lp -d mfd_scmsoffice -o sides=two-sided-long-edge test.txt*

The Cups versions involved are
1.2.4 (Centos 5 running latest rpms) - Print Server
1.2.12 Fedora Client

I have done some searching on the Web and see a fair number of problems
with Duplex Printing but no real mention of solutions to this issue.  So
firstly have people been able to get duplex printing working correctly
for lp or lpr ?  If not what alternative solutions are people using ?

If reliable duplex printing is possible can anyone direct me to some
good documentation about this so I can see why my configuration is wrong.

I have tried removing the client from the loop completely and still see
the behavior when printing from the print server directly.

I see that the cups rpms used are a number of versions behind the
current stable shown at cups.org so I was considering building rpms
using the latest stable source and the spec file that they provide.  Is
this viable or am I just asking for trouble ?

Thank you for your time and any knowledge / experience you are willing
to share.  Have a nice day.