[CentOS] MySQL issues with kernel-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jan 30 16:18:12 UTC 2008

Bent Terp wrote:
> On 1/24/08, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> Bent Terp wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Just a word of warning: after updating a few of our x86_64 based web
>>> frontend boxes to the new kernel, we began to get weird MySQL
>>> timeouts. The problem went away again when we downgraded to the
>>> previous kernel-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm
>>>
>> A bit more info / context would be nice !
>
> We upgraded our web front servers to kernel 2.6.18-53.1.6, and
> suddenly sites wouldn't load. It seemed to be that the connections
> from php to the backend sql servers timed out, so we immediately
> downgraded back to 2.6.18-53.1.4
>
> Now that we've had more time to look at the problem, it is not related
> to mysql, sorry about that. Rather, it looks as if the set of nfs
> patches do not agree with our EMC Cellera NAS server. Backing out that
> bunch and rebuilding makes the problem go away.
>
> The patches that gives us problems, results in a kernel which makes
> something like 2000 times more "NFS V3 LOOKUP Call" and "NFS V3 LOOKUP
> Reply" than without.
>
> Has something changed with regard to the mount options? We use
> (rw,noatime,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,udp,context="system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0)
> which has worked fine until now.

I am trying to duplicate your options ... and noatime is not a valid option.

Could you please double check the /etc/export options again so I can try
to duplicate the issue.

Using my standard /etc/exports on 2 i686 test platforms I have no
problems at all.

Here are the options I used on my test:

(rw,insecure,sync,no_subtree_check)

Thanks,