[CentOS] Question on http stop responding

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jan 30 16:29:45 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:

> They are scanning my machine to make sure it is OK to be on this network.
> One of the faults coming back is "Web server stops responding" to 3
> consecutive HTTP attempts

Are you running an http server on that machine they are scanning? If
yes, do you need to be running one ? From the sounds of the error it
seems like there is not a web server running on that system and whatever
scanning system thinks there is, a faulty scanning system assuming there
is a web server running on a particular port.

If you are running a http server, check the error/access logs to see
if there are any problems detected by the system.

And I'd suggest running tcpdump or some sort of port scan/network scan
detection software while they run the test so you can see exactly what
they are looking at. At the last company I worked at they were working
towards PCI compliance, and there was at least 50-60 servers that did
not run any sort of HTTP service(they ran other services that talked
other protocols). While we talked about PCI compliance I never heard
of anything needing to scan the network for HTTP servers.

nate