[CentOS] VMWare 6.02 and Linux screen saver?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:20:50 UTC 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 4:20 AM, Scott Ehrlich <scott at mit.edu> wrote:
> I have a user who freshly installed CentOS on their desktop.  They also
> installed VMWare 6.02.
>
> When they click the mouse on their Linux desktop, the screen saver properly
> activates.  But, when they click the mouse in their VMWare session, the Linux
> screen saver never activates.  This has been tried for both VMWare Player and
> Workstation.
>
> I don't know if it makes any difference, but the VMWare Guest OS is Windows XP
> w/SP2.

Forgive my confusion, but are you saying that your screen saver
de-activates when you click the mouse over your Linux but not Windows?
 Wait, that doesn't make sense either.

The screen saver should activate after your specified timeout, or if
you lock the screen via a keyboard shortcut or panel launcher or
navigating the system menu to lock the screen.  Only the keyboard
shortcut can be effective with the mouse cursor "in" the guest OS
window because the mouse would have to move outside that window to
activate the screen saver directly.

Or are you talking about the guest screen saver (which also does not
make sense)?

For the record, while your cursor is in the VMWare guest OS window, it
is disconnected from the host's responses until you either type
<ctrl><alt> or move the mouse out of the VMWare window (which you can
only do if you have installed VMWare tools in the guest OS).

That's normal.

mhr