[CentOS] ARGH!!! Instal fails at drive format time

Tue Jan 8 00:27:34 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:14:05PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Got all the way through the selection of packages.  All those time
>>> consuming tasks and the install got to formating the drive and
>>> crashed on a format error!
>>>
>>> Since I know exactly how I want to lay out the partitions, is there a
>>> way I can boot from CD, and get into Disk Druid to set the partitions
>>> and do the formating.  Then when I come to the install just select to
>>> keep the drive how it is?
>>>
>>> And I have to have LVM....
>>>

>> You could hit ALT-F2 and set everything up from the console by hand
>> (including formatting) and then just tell disk druid _not_ to format.
>> I haven't tried that, but it feasibly might work...
> Do you mean right after booting off CD #1?  alt-F2 does nothing F2 lists
> options like linux askmethod.

No, you have to answer the startup questions first.  By the time or
before you get to the disk partitioning screen you can use alt-F4 to get
  a text-mode shell in a virtual console.  Usually it is alt-f7 to get
back to the X install screen.  If you've already gotten to the disk
setup screen, there should be a 'back' button at the bottom.  Going to
the previous screen and back will make it re-detect your new partitions.
  I do this the hard way a lot of times because I like to make /boot,
swap, and / partitions in that order and raid1-mirror them and the
builtin setup wants to rearrange the partition order if it hasn't
already been created.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com