[CentOS] FF3 printing problem on Centos 4.x

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jul 3 17:24:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 04:47:28AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >I'm using Centos 4.x (fully up to date) on a system at work. I have also
> >been using firefox 2 (directly from mozilla.org) on it for a long time,
> >and it tends to work just fine.
> >
> >yesterday I installed the new FF3 release. It works fine too, with one
> >exception: The print dialog shows no printers! The print button is greyed
> >out! There actually four or five printers defined on the system, and all
> >other apps find them fine, including FF2.
> >
> >So far no one has replied to my query on the mozillazine forums. Anyone
> >here got any suggestions I can try?
>
> Not sure about why that is happening, but there will be a firefox-3 in
> CentOS-4.7 ... which should happen in late July after the release of
> RHEL-4.7.  Printing should work with that.

I have a workaround for this problem, should anyone else need it
(contributed by a kind soul who had the same problem on RHEL 4).

if you have evolution28 installed, just add:

	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/evolution28/lib

to the startup process for firefox3 and all is well.

evolution28 is available from the centos4 base repo, for those who
do not have it. (I'm told that it is in the RH beta channel if you need
it for RHEL 4.)

There are a whole bunch of evolution28 packaages. I just installed 'em
all, not knowing which one(s) are important.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding