[CentOS] BackupPC won't fork after CentOS 5.2 upgrade

Ben abnormaliti at clivepeeters.com.au
Tue Jul 8 00:55:03 UTC 2008

Ben wrote:
> For some time now i have been running BackupPC 3.1.0 on CentOS 5.1
> x86_64 however after upgrading to CentOS 5.2 BackupPC will not start.
>
> "sudo /etc/init.d/backuppc start" return OK but there is no BackupPC
> processes.
>
> This fails also.
> # sudo -u backuppc /usr/bin/BackupPC -d
> # echo $?
> 0
>
> This succeeds, but of course does not fork.
> # sudo -u backuppc /usr/bin/BackupPC
>
> So for some reason after the CentOS 5.2 upgrade it will not fork into
> the background.
>
> I have run the perl debugger over it and up until the fork everything
> is fine.
>
> Nothing appears in the LOG.

With some help from the BackupPC list i have narrowed the problem down
to the NSS config, I use LDAP to resolve users and groups.

In /etc/nsswitch.conf this is what is there and was there with CentOS
5.1, with this config BackupPC will not background.
<snip>
passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files ldap
group:      files ldap
<snip>

However, with this in nsswitch.conf the service will background.
<snip>
passwd:     files ldap
shadow:     files
group:      files ldap
<snip>

Apparently this has been seen to affect dhcpd too, but with the
"services" nss database.

Any ideas on this?  What has changed between 5.1 and 5.2?

Ben