[CentOS] Howto: Java Plugin for Firefox 3.0.1?

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Jul 17 19:05:41 UTC 2008

Can anyone here give me the magic decoder ring recipe for getting jre
"plugged" into Firefox 3.0.1?  The plugins directory is gone and the
Firefox FAQ regarding this issue cryptically mentions that plugin support
has been dropped. It then points one to a early adopter SUN jre1.6-10 page
that has innumerable dependencies which my version of CentOS-5.2 does not
meet.

Firefox 3.0.0 had a plugins directory and it did support the logical link
plugin:

 ls -s libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/java/default/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I have no clue how to get java to work in FF3.0.1 at the moment.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Canada  L8E 3C3