[CentOS] cupsd takes 100% of cpu

Dan Halbert

halbert at everyzing.com
Mon Jul 28 16:05:50 UTC 2008

I have never been able to get cups to work properly since CentOS 4.x
(and am now on 5.2).

When I try to "service start cups", cupsd immediately starts taking 100%
of the cpu. Attaching strace to it shows no system calls happening. I
have tried uninstalling and reinstalling cups to get fresh config files.
My printers.conf is empty.

This is on a completely updated x86_64 CentOS 5.2 desktop system running
gnome. There are no local printers attached the the box. We have a
couple of networked HP printers and a Canon. I have not added any of
these printers to the configuration. A lot of Googling has not turned up
any help. Have you seen this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks much,
Dan