[CentOS] Setting Group owner of files on USB drive

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jun 1 04:02:48 UTC 2008

I want to thank you all for your comments and the knowledge I gained
thereby....

Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> On 5/31/2008 3:33 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> You can't expect it to maintain ext3 file permissions in a FAT32
>> partition :D
>

> Not necessarily.  If the Linux files do not need to be accessed from
> the windows environment, you could create an image file, format the
> image as ext3, mount the image file as a loop device, and treat it as
> a standard ext3 mount point.
Since this is only a movable copy of files from my /home/me directory
structure, I can live with loosing the group and needing to reset it if
moved back to a ext3 partition.

I will just have to work out the right rsync of cp command to do the
bulk movement without all those warnings.  SHould only take reading a
few man pages for that...

Again thanks.