[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

John jses27 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 12:38:36 UTC 2008

 -----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of MHR
Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 4:01 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 5:55 PM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think your reading the wrong guide, try this one and this has
> traversed on long enough. Almost Two weeks now.

1) This has been going on, on and off, for a lot longer than two weeks.
2) I was hoping that it would be considered "long enough" when the problem
is solved.
3) My samba configuration is only a part of the problem, and it works for my
Windows XP guest, even with all the tweaks I've added/used.
The problem also has (a lot) to do with the Windows configuration, which may
not be perfect, since I used the "wrong guide" to set it up and check it,
but nothing here even addresses that.

But thank you for your opinion.

> Samba 3 By Example:
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-ByExample/
>
> Samba 3 How To:
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba3-HOWTO/

These were where I started out, and how I got what I have to work with my
WXP guest in the first place.  I was using the other guide as an additional
resource - it /is/ on the samba site, after all, and they don't appear to
have a step-by-step guide for samba 3+.

Thanks.

Mhr
-------------------------------------
Hrmm. The Samba 3 guide covers all Samba Versions 3 and greater. There are
only minimal differences between the versions. Some options are being phased
out though so keep that in mind.

Do this just for kicks. Take your samba config file and rename it. Take what
I posted in email to you and use it for the main samba config fig file. You
will only need to change the directory paths to match yours. Try one share
at a time. You should be able to access it (the samba server share) with any
windows xp user account, wether it's a guest account or not. You will need
the correct chmod and chown with the -R option on the shared folder.
Sometime when using the GUI in changing the folder and file permissions, it
want allow Recursiveness to the folder thus use the shell command to do it.

johnstanley.