[CentOS] XFS install issue

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jun 2 16:46:30 UTC 2008

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 at 7:03am, Johnny Hughes wrote
>
>> I would also not use XFS in production ... but that is just me.  If
>> XFS was production ready, it would be in RHEL.  Since it is turned on
>> in Fedora and since it is purposely turned off in RHEL, one can
>> reasonably conclude that the upstream people DO NOT THINK it is
>> stable enough to use in production on RHEL.  This is JUST my opinion :D
>
> IIRC, RH's stated reason (stated on the mailing lists in the midst of
> folks clamoring for XFS' inclusion) for not having XFS turned on in
> RHEL is *not* that it's not production ready.  It's that they only
> have the resources (read: folks with knowledge in-depth enough to
> satisfy enterprise customers) to support 1 FS, and that's ext3.

indeed, when I looked into using XFS for a large scale data store, I had
several XFS 'gurus' (freenode xfs channel) strongly recommend only
deploying it with the help of SGI consulting services, using a SGI
distribution.   Since at the time, SGI's long term viability was dubious
(and its not improved any since then, this was about 2 years ago), I
moved on.   We are currently using Solaris 10 plus ZFS for this
application, with satisfactory results (except some annoying problems
with marvel88SX sata drivers but thats another issue entirely)