[CentOS] CentOS 64bits can't boot

Victor Padro

vpadro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:39:51 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I got this tiny problem, I bought an Asus m2n-vm hdmi mobo two weeks ago and
it seems not to be fully working under centos amd64(4.6, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1) or
even redhat EL 5.0 i386, amd64, I tried to install centos and redhat EL
using the linux dd and linux noprobe commands to load driver disk from
nVidia guys but it doesn't detect the HD I'm using their diferent versions
of the driver RHEL 4_U5, 4_U6 , 5, 5_U1 , then if I change the IDE config in
the BIOS from SATA to AHCI, it detects the SATA HD during the install
process, but when it boots up, it tells me to "reboot and select proper boot
device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", but
nothing happens...then I change the BIOS IDE setting back to SATA, and it
boots but it gives me a kernel panic saying "could not mount such file
system, not such file or directory", it doesn't load up the drivers at the
linux noprobe way, nor even the forcedeth or the sata_nv.

I read in ubuntu and fedora forums that they're supported in Ubuntu 7.04,
7.10, 8.04 and Fedora 7, 8, 9, haven't test them yet though, I want to stick
with Centos bcos thats my working enviroment.

What can I do?

Here are my specs:
Asus msn-vm hdmi
Chipset Nvidia GeForce7050PV/nForce630a
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 2.5Ghz Dual core
6Gb RAM Kingston
250 HDD SATA2
LG IDE DVD-ROM

I'm trying to use this setup in my home lab to test out Xen technology and
techniques.

cheers,

Victor.

P.S. sorry for my english