[CentOS] Booting Diskless Workstations

Sorin@Gmail sorin.srbu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 08:07:52 UTC 2008

John R Pierce <> scribbled on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:40 AM:

> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Something just occured to me on this this...
>>
>> Suppose I have an old Amd 486DX2/40, could this oldie be setup so that it
>> boots a minimal (blocky) GUI over NFS to be able to run xmms or something
>> like that? Has anybody tried (something similar like) this?
>>

> how much ram?    I don't think I'd bother if its less than about 128MB.

Probably around 30ish. Don't think the 486-generation machines could handle
much more than that.

> fwiw, a newer distro with a i686 only  kernel won't work, that requires
> pentium pro or better

Sounds good! I have a Ppro/180 (overclocked to 200MHz) too.

What about players? Xmmx is graphical and I'm not familiar with CLI or
block-graphics players others than those that were big with OS/2 Warp 3 and 4
more than a decade ago.

TIA.