[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

Ross Cavanagh ross-cavanagh at bm-sms.co.jp
Tue Jun 3 23:11:36 UTC 2008

Robert wrote:
> It might be easier to give up.*
>
> For years, I had a single inkjet printer on my modest home network,
> physically connected to this machine.  It works great once setup until
> something changes. (Versions of Windows and/or versions and/or flavors
> of Linux on another box.)  A while back, I added a laser printer,
> choosing one that could go either parallel, USB or ethernet.  I got
> out my crimpers, made a network cable and haven't looked back.  What a
> pleasure! It was a breeze to set up and it's alway visible to any
> computer on the network.
>
> The point is, unless your time is virtually worthless, you might think
> about a print server. Netgear, D-link and Linksys all make them.  BTW,
> my laser printer is a Brother HL-5250 DN and I'm pretty happy with it.
Those mini print servers would save you a lot of time by the sound of
it, if it's just the printer sharing that's the problem. Or if distance
is not an issue, it could possibly be directly connected to one of the
windows machines and shared from there. However, that would result in
you having to leave the windows box on all the time for the printing to
be enabled.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway, hope it helps.

-Ross-