[CentOS] Re: several servers

Christopher Chan christopher at ias.com.hk
Wed Jun 4 00:23:25 UTC 2008

roberto.barrientos at umag.cl wrote:
> ok..i can install dovecot+postfix+MYSQL..etc..and maybe the problem it's
> resolve.
> i don't have problem with the machines, the machines are goods, my problem
> is the tranparent receive e-mails to the users than are distributed in
> four machines with the same number the users and different users in each.
> as does google??. they have one entry to e-mail system (gmail.com) but
> they have several machine (maybe thousands) in transparent mode.
> i read something like LVS...some comment about this software..! is my
> solution or I'm lost?
> Roberto.-

dude, fairly distributing users is hard to determine. The mailbox is
created before its activity levels can be known. You have no idea how
frequently it will be used or how much it will eventually store. You are
better off implementing a central storage store with a GFS front end to
it and then you do not have to worry so much about fairly distributing
the load...at least that is what I hope GFS will accomplish since I have
not personally deployed GFS anywhere. Otherwise, you will have to do
maintenance now and then to redistribute the load over the four machines.

As for 'one entry'...you do not seem to know much about dns, smtp, and
http proxies in general do you? Of course, this has nothing to do with
the way Google does its stuff.