[CentOS] Re: Live CD?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 21:16:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 13:13 -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> >
> > I usually burn critical CD's at lower speeds. It seems that they have a more
> > reliable image when the laser gets to spend a little more time on the
> > tracks.
> >

> I'll have to check the file at home again - I just checked the CD here
> and its md5sum doesn't match the one on the download site's md5sum.txt
> file.
>
> )(*@#&$)%(*&@#$(*@&$#(&@
>
> Back to the basics....

Pad the image before you burn it. Per suggestions from Johnny when I got
burned by this some time back, 300K is sufficient.

FYI: being insatiably curious, after that fix was applied, I grabbed a
handful of my old CD drives (all different brands and ages and speeds)
and used a recent one as the master burner. That is, all test media were
burned on the same device.

Some of the readers (1 IIRC) read successfully w/o padding. All others
required some - amount varied. All tests conducted in the same machine.

If you use cdrecord, note that the pad parameter is deprecated and
replaced with padsize, which works quite well.

The clue in all this is that someone mentioned that some drives have
trouble reading the end of the track. This was confirmed by my tests.

> Thanks.
>
> mhr
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH