[CentOS] yum upgrade 4.3 -> current ?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Jun 4 22:14:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 16:51 -0500, Chris Boyd wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, William L. Maltby wrote:
>
> > Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
> > 4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself
> > (IIRC,
> > the sqlite changed).
>
> Tried that with a "yum -y update yum" but we're still getting clobbered.

Did yum or sqlite get updated or did it dump on you there too?

> <snip>

> > Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
> > (telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
> > normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or
> > file
> > of decent size and try that.
>
> We're already there--no X is installed or running.  Swap partition is
> set to 2GB--I suppose that I could add another swap file and see if
> that gets me over the hump.
>
> Yum is choking at the point where it print the first "processing
> primary.xml.gz"

I don't know that much about the yum process. But if it bombs there, I
would enable some more verbosity and see if it gives any clues about
where in there it is failing. Maybe you have some extra repos enabled
that cause excessive memory usage at that step? If that's related (I
don't know) you might disable all the repos but the base an updates as a
first step and see if at  lease the basic stuff can get done.

> --Chris
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--