[CentOS] Managing Eclipse Plugins

Clint Dilks

clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Thu Jun 5 02:01:39 UTC 2008

Hi People,

I just wondered  if anyone had an suggestions on how to manage Eclipse
plugins where RPMS don't exist for the particular plugin.  In this case
Aptana.  Using the instructions here
http://www.aptana.com/docs/index.php/Plugging_Aptana_into_an_existing_Eclipse_configuration
I can install the plugin manually to /usr/share/eclipse so that its
available to all users on the box.  But I need to install this plugin on
a high number of machines.  I know I could install it on a single
machine and then tar up /usr/share/eclipse and turn this into an rpm.
But I think this will be asking for trouble in the long run.

So I then did some research and found that I should be able to use
eclipse update manager from the command line see
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/update_standalone.html
Thinking that perhaps I could use a script to do the install or use a
script to create an RPM.  But so far I can't get any of the Eclipse
Update Manager commands to work.  Asking on some eclipse Newsgroups has
got a couple of cryptic responses.  So I thought I would ask if anyone
had ideas about the best way to achieve what I am after.  Also if anyone
uses the Eclipse Update Manager from the command line and can give me an
example of a command line that works, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks