[CentOS] kernels and irc

James Bunnell jbunnell at belencomputers.com
Thu Jun 5 15:39:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 10:59 -0400, Jim Perrin wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:35 AM, James Bunnell
> <jbunnell at belencomputers.com> wrote:
> > I was in the #centos-social channel and simply stated that I noticed CentOS
> > 3-4 were getting a lot of updates. I also stated that the CentOS 5 was one
> > kernel behind, as in RHEL it is at -53, the gentlemen then told me that I
> > was wrong and it was at -21. I then asked if there was a way to get a
> > progress report somehow on 5.2, and that 5.2 has already upgraded that
> > kernel. The result was that I was banned for being correct. I dont
> > understand this kind of support.
>

> Actually no.  I banned you for 15 minutes because you were being
> profane, pedantic about verbiage. The user trying to help you had
> already complained about typos and such, and was using kernel
> shorthand since the -53.1. is common to the more recent kernels being
> discussed at the time. I warned you twice to stop being quite so
> pedantic, kicked you twice (since you were unwilling to take the hint
> the first time) and finally resorted to the ban when you began to spew
> insults and profanity.  If you want support from folks who will take
> verbal abuse, buy a RHEL license. Otherwise, play by the channel rules
> and be nice to others (yes, for those of you who know me, I *can* say
> that with a straight face most of the time).
>
> Crying about an irc ban on the mailing list is simply a way to have
> the last word. If you want it, it's yours. The ban was temporary to
> allow all parties time to cool down, and I'm done with the entire
> issue. Hopefully you are as well.

that being said, irc is a poor representation of centos, i have enjoyed
the mailing list and have mostly lurked here. i think you overreact to
simple questions that could be answered very simply with an intelligent
updated answer rather that was said and this whole thing would have been
avoided. you did not try to help, you simply threw warnings and said
nothing.