[CentOS] Re: kernels and irc

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 10:41:00 UTC 2008

On 6/5/08, Ross S. W. Walker <rwalker at medallion.com> wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>
> > on 6-5-2008 8:30 AM James Bunnell spake the following:
> > >
> > > i do pay for rhel. i made the mistake of converting to centos. damage is
> > > done. on the next major upgrade, i will return to rhel and will not
> > > professionally recommend centos either privately,personally, or in the
> > > realm of a business. thanks for seeing my side of the issue and not
> > > jumping on the elite bandwagon. i am done.
> >
> > No wonder you were banned on #irc. I personally am more than happy to
> > wait. I came here from Whitebox linux, and it is even slower there. One
> > person is doing what the entire team is doing here. I also know that if
> > I am in that big of a hurry, I can down the src rpms and start
> > building... But I won't.
> >
> > Johnny, Karanbir, Russ, Seth, Dag, Jim, Donavan, and every one else on
> > the team that I most surely missed... You do a bang up job, and our
> > thanks go to your tireless and mostly unpaid contributions to this
> > project! If I have to wait a week or a month for a new release... so
> > be it. The security updates are what is most important, and those come
> > very quickly.
>
> I second that!

I totally agree

I am the sysadmin for a *very* small company which we operate in the
free time outside of our normal jobs as addiction medics. Our profit
levels are so low that we cannot justify a RH support contract
*because* CentOS exists.

Of all the *many* mailing-lists that i am on i find the CentOS (and
the linux-poweredge list from Dell) to be the most polite and
informative.

If i ever get to deploy my parachute and exit the NHS then i am really
looking forward to lurking on the irc chans as well (pesky NHS
firewall and aup).

Our production server will be installed into NHS Lothian's network
once 5.2 comes out and i am *more* than happy with the "It'll be done
when it's done" answer.

Thanks again for all the work that you guys do!

mike